Friday, June 3, 2011

What's with the name?

             
   Why Through the Waters? Several months ago I was reading in Isaiah 43:2, a passage that says, “When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; And through the rivers, they shall not overflow you…” There are many “waters” or seasons we as Christians go through in life. We all go through trials, prosperities, and deserts, yet in each and every season God is with us. When we are rich with joy He is evidently seen through His “wellsprings of life”. In our tragedies, he is amongst the “raging seas”. And in our deserts (or lack of water/life), he is our nearest oasis. He is our refresher. Living water is only given by God as it says in John 4:10, “Jesus answered her, "If you knew the gift of God and who it is that asks you for a drink, you would have asked him and he would have given you living water."
                First of all I must define water and what it does as used in scripture. As I have previously mentioned, water is a wellspring of life; In Isaiah 12:3 it says,


Surely God is my salvation; 
   I will trust and not be afraid. 
The LORD, the LORD himself, is my strength and my defense
[a]; 
   he has become my salvation.” 
3 With joy you will draw water 
   from the wells of salvation.”

Yet, in the same way, water has also been a symbol of tribulations also; In Psalm 66:11 it reads,

“You brought us into prison 
   and laid burdens on our backs. 
12 You let people ride over our heads; 
   we went through fire and water, 
   but you brought us to a place of abundance.”

How can the very thing that brings forth life also deliver death? Water simply represents three things: floods, springs, and courses (seasons we go through as Christians). This is what God had revealed to me while reading His word and meditating upon it. Of course this was not enough for me. Wanting to find out the real meaning of “waters” in Hebrew I took out my handy old concordance only to find “course. flood. spring.” by the definition of waters. Exactly what God had shown me! Such an exciting revelation, surely one to write about.
Through the next few post I will be going over the different waters (or courses) we go through in life and defining them in a deeper way. Hoping you’ll stay interested!    

No comments:

Post a Comment