Thursday, June 16, 2011

Summer Workouts?

         
            Well, I'm not that kind of girl. I have to admit that I don't dare to be athletic (unfortunately). Recently I've just had this urge to get fit. Weird I know. So... I got a new bike (which I love) and looked up some abdomen exercises, and soon I'll have the "Nike Training Club" app on my iPod! What does God have to say about keeping our bodies fit? Yes, it kind of seems a little irrelevant, but essentially our body is God's. He wants us to live for him spiritually first of all, but how can we reach our potential service to God without our body being there also? Paul makes this point in 1 Corinthians 9:27, "But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified." We are certainly not our own, we are God's, in 1 Corinthians 6:19 it says, "Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own..."
               
              Now, I'm certainly not saying its a sin to be unfit (if it were, I think I'd be in a whole lot of trouble!) but I do believe we should take care of ourselves so that we can use our body to our full potential in Christ. Disciplining your body and using it to glorify God doesn't sound too bad, does it? Its a worth-while process, and probably much harder than I'm making it out to be (I really don't know, I'm just starting all this "athletic" stuff)  but in the end I'm sure it will be really worth-while.


P.S. I'm really going to need your prayers! 

No comments:

Post a Comment