Thursday, June 7, 2012

That's where the fruit is.

its true
         Mark Twain once said, "Why not go out on a limb? That's where the fruit is." And isn't it so true? Every time summer comes around I head to the library and rent books, do crafts, hang out with friends, and enjoy the long days of sunshine and rain. But for some reason this summer, I think God has something much more different and important for me. There's absolutely nothing wrong with reading, and doing crafts, and having fun with friends. All of those things are quite pleasurable and good for us, yet what if there's something God has for us that's so much more grand and special. So this summer. I'm going out on some limbs... cause that's where the fruit is, plus its a lot more adventurous than climbing on the same old trunk.
         
Limb #1: I'm going to my church's high school summer camp. I haven't gone yet, and this is my last chance to go since I'm a senior. Why is this hard? Well, none of my really close friends are going, I don't know a bunch of people there and I might now even be put in the same group as the few friends that are going. So, the possibility of spending 6 days with a huge group of people that I don't know somehow doesn't appeal to me. But, I'm tired of being afraid of these kind of things, so, I'm taking the climb out on this limb.
       
Limb #2: I tried out to sing for my church's worship team and... after 3 weeks of waiting for an answer... I'm now on it! Excitement and fear enters me at the thought of singing in front of all those people. I honestly am scared out of my mind to do anything in front of a large group of people. And singing? I love it... but on a more recluse stage... like in the shower. Not as much in front of other, but God has called me to this and I'll be obedient to His calling, I'm sure he knows what He's doing.
       
Limb #3: I'm going to Haiti again. Although I wouldn't say I'm afraid to go to Haiti, I guess it could be considered out of my comfort zone. But, you see, last time I was there I felt more at home than I do here in the states. It's my calling and I absolutely love it there, but I'm sure this time around God's going to stretch me much more. So one more limb to climb out on.
         
          So with all these limbs to climb, I'm going to need a little more strength from God. The other night as I searched the Bible looking for inspiration and strength to take on so much, I recognized I am not the only one who's ever been called out of their comfort zone. There are plenty of examples. Esther, Moses, Joshua, Abraham, Sarah, Paul, Peter, and Timothy. And even more to count. So, what did God tell of of these Biblical limb climbers? He said,

"Be strong and of good courage, do not fear nor be afraid of them; for the LORD your God, He is the One who goes with you. He will not leave you or forsake you." (Deuteronomy 31:6)

1 comment:

  1. thanks so much for your comment on my blog, dear, loved yours!! I love that verse, and I also have a lot of limbs to climb, but for sure He'll be with us in all of them! :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete