Monday, December 26, 2011

Childhood on a bike.

 
         
        Now. There are many who don't quite understand the meaning of a bike. A apparatus for exercise. A mode of transportation. A item for neighborhood fun. Maybe even a strange tool to get away. But for me, a bicycle is the means I use to dream. It is pen I use to write a fairy-tale, the magic carpet I ride as means to sail through the sky, and the shooting star I harness in order to flit through the galaxy. So much excitement for a simple bike? Yes, and I'll tell you why.
           I'm sure when I'm older, I'll look back on my years as a teenager and mostly remember my time on my bike. That's what will come to mind. My high school years may be a bit blurry, but the time I spent on my bike will be crystal clear. If people asked me to describe my 16th year in three words, "bicycle" would be one of them. Yes, bicycle is a noun, but what would happen if we turned it into an adjective? For me.... bicycle would mean dreamy, free, exhilaration. Me and bicycle dreams. When you ride down the paved sidewalks, past the green manicured lawns, with the wind kissing your face and the breeze billowing through your hair, your cares are left behind. You literally ride away your worries.
           Sometimes as I ride by bike I grab on to the nearest limb of a tree and get a handful of leaves. As I continue to ride I let them slip away from my clasp one....by one....by one.... until they're all gone and blown away into the breeze. Just like the leaves, my worries leave me as I ride on my bike. So this is why I treasure something as simple as a bicycle. It causes me to dream and takes away my worries. What is better than that?

No comments:

Post a Comment