Thursday, July 12, 2012

Guest Post: Few-and-far-between Friends

          As you read this, I'm in Haiti again on a mission trip with my church! So being occupied here, I've asked my sister (and best friend) to write a guest post for you all! She too has her own blog called "Sweeter than Honey." You can look at it here! Please check it out and even follow, her heart for Christ truly shows throughout her writing. So, without any further wait... I'll hand this post over to her!




Tonight I sit in my own room typing on my computer.  I'm alone and the room is quiet.  Click click click go the computer keys.  Right now I'm not drinking snapple peach tea or recounting the day's events.  I am not watching a silly romantic comedy that I have memorized because I have seen it too many times.  I am not talking about what God revealed to me today or passionately explaining how burdened I am for a certain ministry, country, or person.  I miss my sister.  Because if she were here, that's what I would be doing.


Over the past 17 years, my friendship with Brittany Audrey has really grown and blossomed.  And though we both now are beginning to separate paths- with me going away to college in the fall and her preparing to go somewhere else next year, I still know our friendship will survive.  After 17 years of cheesy chick-flick watching, crying, crafting, traveling, laughing, encouraging one another, eating Coldstone's together, and simply talking, I trust our friendship, with God's help, can survive just about anything.


One of the things I have realized I treasure most about our friendship is the honesty and accountability we hold each other to.  Since I recently led a camp group of 10 high school girls, I realized how few-and-far-between true accountability is.  It's difficult at my church to find a group of peers that you can be honest around- admit your faults and proclaim your victories to.  It's also even more challenging to find older women to look up to- to seek advice from.  


I think some of the biggest influences in how my life has gone thus far are these people- the accountability partners and mentors.  They have encouraged me to stand strong in God when I felt like giving up.  They heard me out when I did not know what to do or was overwhelmed with fear or doubt.  They proclaimed to me God's truth when lies were overcoming me.  


Of these, Brittany has been the most consistent.  It's beautiful how God puts people in our lives that help us draw closer to Him.  It's even more beautiful to know that mine is my sister- and that I can always count on her. 


Lissa Anne
Sweeterthanhoney119.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment