Sunday, September 11, 2011

We remember.

                10 years ago, I was sitting in my first grade classroom. It seemed like any other day. We went to lunch, played at recess, came back and practiced our reading... then a phone call from the office changed everything. My teacher explained to us with as much calmness as she could acquire that in a city far away, 2 planes had hit to large towers and that many people had died. That day, I wasn't allowed to watch the television and I didn't really comprehend the entire situation, but I knew something was wrong.
               Now as I look back, I understand. Yesterday, for the first time I watched the attack on our World Trade Center that happened ten years ago on September 11, 2001. As I watched, I saw the pain and terror of the Americans as they tried to run for cover when the South tower started to collapse. I saw mothers running with their strollers while smoke and fire flashed through the sky. And my heart broke. A little less than 3,000 souls were lost that day. What struck me hard was this, in war we attack each other's armies, who can defend themselves, but those terrorists attacked innocent civilians, who could not defend. Our attackers tried to steal the American pride that was strongly upheld in our large cities. Yet they did not succeed. Though many were killed, the weeks and months that followed this tragedy brought the American people together. Countless people risked and lost their lives for others that day. American heroes were brought about even from the rubble.
               Today, I remember all those who were lost and who gave their lives up for their fellow citizens. I hope we remember their courage.I hope we also will remember that even after this horrific event, our nation once again was the United States of America. We were one unified people. After that day, we were changed. We gathered and prayed together, despite our differences. We were one. So now, let us move forward with courage, yet never forget those who died that day. And let us always remember that He was still there with us through it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment