Sunday, July 17, 2011

Haiti Mission Trip - Untitled

             You may be wondering why I titled this “untitled” let’s just say that’s how my experience was. Indescribable. How do you title something so amazing, so beautiful? I honestly can’t put into words what an experience it was to go on a mission trip to Haiti. And truthfully, writing down all these experiences is never going compare to what the trip was really like, but I’ll do my best by highlighting my favorite parts.
             We arrive at Port Au Prince, and I’m speechless. The land, the people, the housing, the whole nation, looks broken. I can’t describe what I saw that first day, but it was jaw-dropping. As we got started in the ministry, we headed to church the next day. The church I visited was amazing even though it had cement floors, no stain glass windows, or pews, or even a huge church choir. It was simple, and although the entire message was in creole, I could still understand the heart behind it. The language barrier was there, but it still spoke to my soul. I was changed even though I knew not what the words meant. That’s how a lot of the trip went. Even though there was a language barrier between us and the people, we still could communicate to them through one certain thing… God’s love.
             In each church and orphanage we went to, every child I connected to with wanted one thing, love and attention. And that’s what we shared with them. We began each VBS with a presentation of the gospel. Through pictures and hand motions we shared God’s hope for their lives. At a certain church we visited, a little girl clung to me and I truly connected with her. Although she was far too young to understand how to tell me her name, this little girl had such a joy about her. When it came time for me to leave she followed us out to our trucks and even when we drove off she followed us down the street. Heart-wrenching. Yes, tears welled up within me, how could I leave her? But then I thought of what we were doing. Sharing the gospel with the people. Hopefully one day that little girl will accept Jesus and I’ll see her in heaven once again.
            Ahhh, and of course, all mission trips have their adventures. We had many. Like breaking down 2 cars, driving through rivers, swimming under arched cliffs, climbing on the top of roofs/garages, being swept away by waves, singing worship songs in the back of a pick-up truck, and driving through rain, just to name a few. Haiti was amazing. In all that we went through I learned this: God is in our midst. Through-out the entire trip I felt His presence, His love, His warmth. I had to fully depend on His strength when I had none. And through it all He was there. No matter what tribulation stood in our way… God was in our midst. In Psalm 46 it mentions this same thing. It states,

“God
 is in the midst of her, she shall not be moved; God shall help her, just at the break of dawn. The nations raged, the kingdoms were moved; He uttered His voice, the earth melted. The LORD of hosts is with us; The God of Jacob is our refuge.
         
             Even when we were held-up by broken down cars God got us through. He was in our midst. He was our refuge, our hope, and the love that we could give to the people there. This trip was one that changed my life. As I arrived home today, I know this is embarrassing to say, but I broke down and cried for a while. Maybe it was the reverse culture shock, but it just hit me how blessed I was, and what a huge family my mission team and I had become. So for any of those on my team who took the last 15 minutes to read all this, the next paragraph is for you… 

Haiti. Bonswaaaaaaaaa. Pin head! Fluffy. Roosters. Car horns. Pick-up trucks. Late night worship. Dishes every morning. Cold showers. “What’s the point?” Winning in spades. Egyptian rat-slap. Lynda. Reading Psalms. “Hailey Marie…” Raps. Nicknames. Mountains. Planking. Oceans. Dare You to Move. Stars. Hello Song. VBS. Family.

No comments:

Post a Comment